Sunday 26 July 2015

Day 1 of Individual Competition

We started the day off with Tara playing at 10 o'clock against a girl from South Africa. She lost the first but came back and won the next three straight fairly quickly. At 4 o'clock she played a match against Amanda Sobhy, a U.S. girl who is going to Harvard next year. Tara lost 3-0 but didn't go down without putting up a fight. She will play again on Wednesday. 

I played at 10:40am against Julie Rossignol from France. I showed up in a pair of black shorts not knowing that there was a rule that everyone competing had to wear a skirt. And ofcourse, I didn't have an extra skirt in my bag and no one else from Team Canada did either. Luckily I was able to borrow a skirt from an Australian girl who had already played. It was huge on me so I had to put it over my shorts for it to stay up while I played. The match was very close but I lost 3-2. 8-11, 6-11, 13-11, 11-9, 11-9. I play again tomorrow against a girl from the Netherlands at 8pm. 

My teammates called my opponent "French Grace" because we were both wearing white, same height and same hair colour. 



Maddie was also on at 10:40am. She was on at the same time as me so I didn't get to watch any of her match. She played a girl from New Zealand and beat her in 5. Her next match was at 4:40pm against a 13/16 seed from Egypt. Maddie played really well but lost in a close 3-0. She will play again on Wednesday. 

Sophie was the next one up at 11:20am. She played a Swiss girl. She had a little bit of trouble getting going but after the first game she found her rhythm and won the next 3 pretty straight forward. Sophie's next match was at 5:20 against a girl from Wales. She had really strange technique that threw Sophie off her game. But Sophie came back and won 3-1. She plays again tomorrow in the round of 32 against a U.S. girl who she knows quiet well. 

Chloe got a bye first round so her first match was at 4:00pm against a girl from Hong Kong. Her opponent had amazing hands and could get anything. Chloe lost in a very close 5 set match. She plays again tomorrow afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment